Skin Cancer Prevention Information
Skin cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer, and yet, it can be prevented through taking extra precautions with sunlight. It may seem like it is a hassle to take up a sun protection regimen each time you leave the house, but it may save your life. Luckily, there are products for everyday use that make this easier, including foundations with SPF and spray-on sunscreen. These are easy ways to protect yourself on a daily basis.
From soccer games to summer vacation, it is not going to be so easy to stay out of the sun. You will need to prepare yourself and your loved ones for more outside time in the sun. Here are the best ways to be cautious this summer:
• Stay inside or seek shade when the sun is at its highest and hottest. This is typically between 10am and 4pm.
• Avoid tanning beds unless it is for medical purposes.
• Use a high SPF sunscreen, especially for children and those with fair skin, and made sure it is a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
• Reapply sunscreen often, especially after swimming or excessive sweating.
• Use other sun protections such as loose, light colored clothing, sunglasses, umbrellas and hats. This is especially important for younger children and for those with fair skin.
• Go to a dermatologist to check to make sure that your skin is healthy and cancer free. Early detection is key.
• Use extra protection around metal surfaces, water and sand as these reflect the sun’s rays back onto you which causes quicker burning.
Sunburns greatly raise your risk of skin cancer, and overexposure to the sun can cause moles and other skin growths to form that may become cancerous. Be sure to examine your body each month for new and abnormal growths so that something that needs removal can be taken care of quickly before it becomes a bigger issue.
To discuss skin health or to schedule a consultation, contact Questcare Medical Clinic.