How to Help Your Child Have A Healthy School Year
It may seem like summer just begun, but if the aisles in the stores full of school supplies are any indication, the beginning of the school year is just around the corner. Whether this will be your child’s first year or last year of schooling, your concern is for their health and safety. Questcare Medical Clinic has some tips for you this school year to make sure you all have a good and healthy experience.
Healthy School Year Tips
- Teach Hand Washing Habits- This is especially important for younger children who may not yet understand the implications of bacteria and germs. Make sure your child knows when they are expected to wash their hands such as after sharing a messy toy or play area or after using the bathroom. Also, teach them how to properly wash their hands. Some parents have their child hum the alphabet to make sure they scrub for long enough.
- Take Care of Their Immune System- This is the best way to prevent frequent infections in your child during the school year. Many factors contribute to a healthy immune system including getting the right amount of sleep consistently, eating the right foods (especially in the morning), and managing the stress of school and other activities properly.
- Choosing a Backpack- Backpacks can be heavy and cause permanent back problems. Make sure a backpack is not too big for a child or too small to handle their load. Also, try different styles to make sure where weight is distributed.
- Eye and Ear Checks- Is your child having trouble learning? It may not be a behavioral issue or even a learning disability. Children can often begin to show signs of hearing or eyesight impairment around the time they begin school. It is crucial to make sure hearing and eye tests are done on a regular basis so that your child has all the tools he or she needs to get the most out of school.
- Balance Work and Play- No matter how much homework your child has, the last thing you want is to keep them in a sitting position all day. Set aside time each afternoon for your child to have physical activity. It is good for the brain as well as the body.
Contact Questcare Medical Clinic
Looking for more tips on staying healthy in the 2018/2019 school year? Contact your nearest Questcare Medical Clinic today.